The quaint community of Perrine used to be an unincorporated area of Miami-Dade County located between Homestead and Miami.
The area was named after Dr. Henry Perrine who previously owned the land through a grant from the US Congress in order for Dr. Perrine to have a place where he can cultivate tropical plants in the US.
Before Dr. Perrine had the chance to cultivate the area, he was killed at Indian Key during the Second Seminole War. While his son, Henry Jr., tried to exploit the area, many of the homesteaders started to encroach on the area that prompted the courts to eventually divide the area among the squatters and the Perrine heirs.
Development in the area started during the construction of the Florida East Coast Railroad. The influx of people led the community to build their first school in 1909.