The city of North Miami Beach was originally named Fulford after U.S. Coast Guard Captain William H. Fulford. A 1926 hurricane halted the real estate boom in South Florida and this has forced residents to work together and rebuild the city, leading to the city’s incorporation in 1927.
The neighborhood is under a council-manager system. They have council members that act as leaders and policy makers of the neighborhood. Through the government system, the community built a modern police station and redeveloped several buildings in the Government Center.
Proud Neighborhoods is a community bond program that produced a number of beautification projects, including landscaping, street lighting, sidewalks in every neighborhood in the city.
Part of increasing neighborhood identity, North Miami Beach has four (4) community centers: Uleta and Victory Park Community Centers, both built in 1966; Washington Park Community Center built in 1968; and Allen Park Youth Center completed in 1968.