East Little Havana was originally named Riverside due to its location west of the Miami River. The area was first platted by Mary Brickell who was one of the prominent pioneer families of Miami. It was then developed by the Tatum brothers who were also responsible for the creation of the Lawrence Estate Land Company subdivision.
The Tatum brothers, who hailed from Georgia, called the area of East Little Havana as a “Beautiful Ridge,” due to its lush and raised terrain near the river. One of the major selling points of East Little Havana was also its proximity to Downtown Miami through the 12th Street Bridge, which served as a toll roadway opened in 1905 before it was bought by the City of Miami and removed the tolls in 1909.
Due to its strategic location, many property buyers chose to buy land and built homes in the East Little Havana community. The rapid growth in the area also caused the increase of Jewish presence along with their businesses and offices. The Jews became a major contributing population to East Little Havana until 1950s.