The land that Manalapan sits on was a homestead given to George H.K. Carter by then President Benjamin Harrison. It was incorporated in 1931 when Commodore Harold Vanderbilt granted the charter. It was named the Town of Manalapan after the New Jersey Township that means “Good Bread” in India.
Manalapan has a one of a kind configuration as it is composed of two separate islands that are connected by water. The Boynton Inlet occupies the area along the A1A between the South Lake Worth Inlet and the Lantana Public Beach. It is the more famous area as it is along the main thoroughfare. The other area occupies the southern third of the Island, which is shared with Lantana and Hypoluxo.
It is bordered to the west by the Intracoastal Waterway and by the Atlantic Ocean to the east. With the beautiful waters surrounding the town, many large scale developers want to develop the town by building towering buildings that would showcase the views of South Florida.
However, the government and people of Manalapan want to keep the town a simple town free from buildings that would pollute the skyline of their neighborhood.
In fact, the town remains as a residential community, with only 4% of the land area utilized for clubs and commercial establishments.
The town has a Commissioner-Manager government and has its own Police and Fire Departments. It also has its own library.
Manalapan houses the La Coquille Club and Plaza Del Mar. Plaza Del Mar is a 102,517 square foot shopping complex located at the southwest corner of South Ocean Drive and East Ocean Avenue.
For those who love to dive, about 175 yards off the shore of Manalapan is the Florida Underwater Archeological Preserve where the dive wreck of Lofthus is. Lofthus was a merchant ship that traveled extensively before it wrecked in Manalapan in 1898. One can see the wreck in about 15-20 feet of water.
The Eau Palm Beach Resort & Spa is the major venue of spa and relaxation in Manalapan. Aside from spa services, the oceanfront hotel also has three different restaurants that offer casual and fine dining.
Golfers can play a game or two at the High Ridge Country Club, which is about 15 minutes away via the Lantana Road.